Friday 30 August 2013

Connecting Over Food

Something I've struggled with since becoming a mother is having nice conversations over food.  We eat out somewhat regularly as a family, but there's something about being a parent that makes you become a fast eater.  I have really missed the long, slow meal, with the long, easy conversation.

Wednesday, I met my mother-in-law for lunch.  I haven't spent much time with her one-on-one, so I was worried that we might have a hard time with conversation.  When I showed up at her workplace, she brought me inside and introduced me to her co-workers.  What struck me most about that was how proud of me she seemed to be.  She seemed truly excited to go out to lunch with me.  I don't know the last time someone introduced me with such pride.  Has it ever happened?  Wow!  How in the world did I deserve that!?  Anyway, we got on our way and went to a lovely restaurant downtown, where we talked and laughed and talked and enjoyed our food (and dessert).  We took our time, and it was nice.  I think we both needed that.

Today, I met up for lunch with a close friend.  I've known him since we were taking a math degree together, and I think he may be verging on "old friend" since it's been over 10 years.  Anyway, throughout our friendship we have always made a point of eating good food together; he is my steak buddy when my vegetarian husband is not around.

This is the last week of my summer vacation, and I will soon be back at work.  While I won't be able to meander downtown for my loved ones' lunch breaks, I will have a longer lunch break at school.  I plan on using it to connect with students, connect my students to their learning, connect with my staff and connect with myself.

All this thinking about connecting over food got me thinking.  If I could choose what to eat for my last meal, what would I choose to eat, and who would I eat it with?

I think I would make a spaghetti with a spicy tomato sauce, with some sliced grilled "chicken" breast and fresh Parmesan on top.  I'd make a marble cheesecake for dessert.  I would want to eat it outside with A & O, my two main men.  They'd like to eat this meal as much as me.

What would you want to eat? And with who?

No comments:

Post a Comment